Saturday 2 May 2015

Finished Quiet Book








A Quiet book is one of the most time consuming projects to do but also very
 satisfying when you see a child you love getting enjoyment out of it.


A few years ago I made a quiet book for my grandson Levi.



Posts about it can be found HERE  and HERE and HERE.


I felt it was about time I made one for his brother Owen.  I have shared all the different pages
with you in several previous posts.   This blog is about the finishing of the book.


After making plans for all the pages I laid them out in the order that seemed to make sense.
 There was no particular theme to the book, just pages I thought my grandson would like.

The Book Plan:


The Finished Pages:

Page 1



Pages 2 & 3



Pages 4 & 5




Pages 6 & 7



Pages 8 & 9



Page 10





The Quiet Book Cover:

With the pages finished it was time to make the cover.



I used a picture of Owen in the snow and printed it on an avery fabric sheet.
 How it's done is described in THIS POST





The picture was then sewn on the fabric that would be the front of my book.
 It was edged with grosgrain ribbon for texture and to protect the edges from fraying.


I used some leftover fabric from my stash.  I had used it as the lining for  THIS PROJECT.
Because of its weight and sturdiness I felt it would also make a good cover for this book





      Two pieces of fabric were used: cut the size to fit my pages plus seams and overlap
 (for securing the cover to itself in the back). I sewed right sides together, turned
 it right side out and sewed around the entire edge .






A strip of fabric was used to serve as the spine. It was sewn
on the cover leaving openings to fit three rings evenly. The lines
for the openings were sewn over several times for strength.




















Three velcro squares hold the book closed.



The finished book! I am so happy to be done.


The best part of this project was watching my grandsons playing with their quiet books.









Owen seemed to love it!


I hope through sharing all this I can inspire you to make a quiet book for a child in your life. I am sorry I didn't photograph the actual process but when I get going on something I find it hard to stop for pictures as I am working. If there are any questions feel free to ask in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments